Weddings and Stuff @ 08:53 pm
So, the Royal Wedding is tomorrow. I won’t be getting up at 6AM but I will TiVo it so I can see a few things, and skip the boring stuff. I know a lot of folks are scratching their heads trying to figure out why anyone is fascinated, and I have a few theories:
- We don’t really have anything like the royal family here. (Yes, I know that was part of the plan in telling England to sod off back in the day.) Sure, we’ve got our first family, but that changes out every 4-8 years and various and sundry celebrities, but nothing quite like the royals.
- Hats. This country does not have enough large scale events involving hats. I especially would like to see what Grandma E busts out of the hatbox for the occasion.
- The Dress. Of course I want to see the dress she wears. Despite all appearances to the contrary, I do have a girly side, and she wants to see the dress!
- It’s enjoyable to watch a wedding where you know you won’t get stuck at the singles table.
- Commoner marries a Prince! Though I’ve long since abandoned any notions of growing up to be a Princess, I can’t help but latch on to a few of the more practical aspects, such as a very large housekeeping staff.
And for all that think the media coverage has been a touch ridiculous, just remember our media seems to only follow news and events in one of two ways:
1. Beat it into the ground like a dead horse until it turns to glue, or
2. Ignore it.
Speaking of beating a dead horse, the President has released his long form birth certificate… Something that I have always felt to be a total non-issue to start with, and yet I am quite certain that this won’t be the end of it. If it’s any consolation Mr. President, I have no desire to see your reports cards from any school you attended. (I really didn’t care about President Bush’s grades either. Or Clinton’s. Or Bush Sr.’s Or Reagan’s.)
Locals: Had to go find some Rescue Remedy today, and finally found it at Felix & Oscar: Pet Food Naturally over on Backlick Road. Of course I found it just as the storms were clearing out, but I’m guessing we’ll have a few more before the summer is over. For whatever reason, RR is hard to find around here – Whole Foods only had the Children’s formulary – which I implore all parents of school age children to purchase, and OTPR only has it for in house use and not for sale. (Many thanks to their giving me some samples in case I couldn’t find it today and for pointing me to F&O’s.) Neither PetsMart or PetCo carry it.
Got two bottles cause I am sure I’ll lose the first one before it’s empty, just like I misplaced the last bottle I bought…